Saturday, May 22, 2010

May Day 2010

For those of you who may not know, May Day is a big deal in Hawaii. Did I say big? I meant colossal! Ginormous! Huge! Bigger than big. It's so big that they have to stagger the performances at schools so that parents, grandparent, aunties and uncles can come too. So our May Day was actually half way into the month. Last year I was totally taken off guard. This year I was prepared. I showed up at the school an hour early, I had the stroller, sun shade, water-bottle, snacks, sun-block and a camp chair. I remembered the camera and video camera and I was ready for the 2 hour show the school was about to put on. It is like going to a fabulous luau where your kids are the performers (minus the food of course). At my kids' school, the fifth graders are honored to represent the Royal Court. Each of the eight Hawaiian islands are represented with a Kahili Bearer (he holds the colored staff), a Prince, Princess and Lady in Waiting. Corynn was asked to be the Lady in Waiting to the Princess of Kauai. She was so excited and did such a good job during the procession and ceremony.
As each represented island walks across the field a narrator tells about each island. I love hearing all the interesting facts about Hawaii.
Hawaii- The Big Island
Kahoolawe - The Target Isle
Kauai - The Garden Isle
Lanai - The Pineapple Island
Maui - The Valley Isle
Molokai - The Friendly Isle
Niihau - The Forbidden Isle
Oahu - The Gathering Isle
After the King and Queen are seated, the rest of the fifth graders put on a performance. There are chanters and hula dancers to entertain the royal court. Next, every grade puts on a performance.
This year Dallin's grade decided to try to put some humor into a touchy subject: Furlough Fridays. I thought the performance was cute, although I don't really find the subject all that funny. Irritating is more like it. I was also disappointed that it wasn't a Hawaiian theme like all the other performances. All the kids worked really hard on their dance, and it turned out really good, so I can't complain too loudly.
I'm having a hard time uploading the video of Dallin's performance, so you'll just have to take my word for it. He was a cute performer. It was such a fun day.

2 comments:

Andrea said...

That sounds like it would be really interesting and fun to see!

Rachel said...

Carynn almost looks hawaiian she is so dark! What fun, I'm like you I would love to learn all this history of the islands.