Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Aloha 'Oe Grandma Carol

The day that Chris got home from Vietnam, was also my mom's last day here in Hawaii. To send her off in style we took her to a luau. We went to the Paradise Cove Luau at Ko'Olina. It's one of our favorites because it is so family friendly. Before the dinner starts they have little stations of Hawaiian activities. So fun. The canoe rides are one of our favorite things at this luau. We always head to the canoes first, because by the time everyone else realizes this is part of the luau, the line is crazy. If you are lucky you can see turtles swimming. No such luck for us on this day.
Here is Dallin waiting patiently for his turn on the canoe.
They demonstrate how to climb a coconut tree to retrieve the fruit. Take my word for it, this is a TALL tree. I was a little scared for this guy.
This lady was our Poi ball instructor. I still can't get the hang of this game. Instead of swinging the balls, I end up hitting myself and anyone within a few feet of me. My family quickly learned not to stand next to me while I practiced :)My mom and I had fun making a crown of flowers. It's almost like wearing a lei on your head, and the plumeria flowers smell so good.
Isn't my mom adorable?While waiting for the Emu (pig) ceremony, we were treated to this beautiful rainbow.
Sunsets at Ko'Olina are so beautiful. Here is my mom with the grandkids.
We warned my mom beforehand that the food is NOT the reason to go to a luau. It's OK, but I'm not a big fan of Hawaiian food. After dinner the hula and fire dancers came out and performed amazing dances. Such a fun night, and the perfect send off for my mom. Aloha 'Oe Grandma Carol.