Sunday, March 1, 2009

Happy 35th, Chris

Today was Chris' 35th birthday. I hadn't slept well the night before (so neither did he), so we decided to sleep in and skip church. The kids were baffled, because this was the first time since moving to Hawaii that we didn't go to church. The kids and I made him breakfast in bed, then we let dad have a nice relaxing morning. By the afternoon I was ready for a change of pace, so we brought him out his one present. Binoculars! Chris has been doing a little hiking lately, and we would love to go whale watching, so we got him some binoculars. He is the hardest guy to buy for! I think the kids were more excited about his present than he was.
After opening his present I wanted to go on a drive around the island to use this fun new toy. We ended up going out to lunch at a mexican restaurant on the North Shore (we had to keep reminding kids that this was the exception and not the rule, as far as Sundays go). It was really good...probably the best we have on the island yet (which really isn't saying a whole lot). Here is a picture of the birthday boy and the kiddos. Dallin had put the empty tortilla bowl on dad's head.
The kids had a lot of fun using the binoculars. I think they got car sick from trying to use them in the car.
It is days like this that I LOVE living in Hawaii. It was about 78 degrees and sunny, but really windy. The ocean was beautiful with white caps far out to sea, and big waves crashing. I kept thinking about when we lived in Cleveland, OH and March 1st was always SO cold. I remember holding my breath inbetween the car and house so I wouldn't breath in the cold air that hurt my lungs.
I was thinking about posting 35 things I love about Chris, but really it all boils down to just this; he is a great man, father and husband, and we love him.

4 comments:

Mills Family said...

Happy late birthday bro! Sounds like you had a wonderful birthday. Sounds like we need to come to Hawaii to try out those new fancy binoculars. Hopefully you will see a whale or two before they head out in the next week or so back to ALaska. Hope you are all doing swell. Love ya!

Rachel said...

Happy Birthday Chris-late! ps lynn, I bought the cutest little present for Masen, I couldn't resist-I LOVE baby stuff!

Heather said...

How fun!!! Wish we could've had some cake and ice cream with ya'll!

Andrea said...

Happy Birthday Chris! Sounds like a great way to celebrate a birthday!