Sunday, December 14, 2008

A Ward Visit from an Apostle

I don't know about everyone else, but at our house, Sundays are hectic...especially the Sundays that Chris has a lesson to teach. So this morning was like every other Sunday; mad rush, some raised voices, and FINALLY getting in the car grumpy. On the way to church I commented that I hated Sundays, to which the kids echoed my feelings. Boy did I feel bad when we walked into the chapel, and everyone was SO reverent and quiet (where normally there is a buzz of conversations going on). I looked up to the stand, and there was Pres. Henry B. Eyring! Sacrament meeting went on like normal with a few good talks, some good Christmas songs, then right before the meeting ended, Pres. Eyring asked the bishop if he could say a few words. While he spoke Coyrnn asked who he was (even she could tell there was a difference). When I explained to her that he is one of the 12 apostles, and the first counselor to our prophet Pres. Monson, she asked if after the meeting she could go give him a hug. I told her probably not. He spoke of us being spiritual children of Heavenly Father, and that by keeping and renewing our covenants we can also be children of Christ. Then he spoke of being in Samoa one year near Christmas time, where he met an Indian family who had accepted the gospel, and were preparing to return to their home in India (any mention of India immediately grabs our family's attention, since that is where Chris served his mission). He spoke of this family returning home to Hyderabad, where they helped fulfilled prophecy by bringing the gospel to every nation, kindred, tongue, and people. This is the very city that Chris spent 3-4 months teaching the gospel to the Indian people. What a beautiful talk it was, and accompanied by such a wonderful spirit. When the meeting ended Chris took the kids to their primary pews (they have opening exercises in the chapel ), and Corynn walked right up to Pres. Eyring and he shook her hand. I will never say I hate Sundays again.

4 comments:

Mills Family said...

How wonderful that you were able to have Elder Eyring there. What a treat. Sounds like an amazing Sunday for your family.

ColeFamily said...

I love Pres. Eyring. He and Bednar are my favorites :) I am glad that it was a neat experience for you and your family. Merry Christmas. We love you guys.

Rachel said...

What a special thing for your family. And of course Carynn got to shake President Eyering's hand, that girl has gumption!

Heather said...

awesome! I'll bet corynn will remember that for a long time.