Thursday, July 1, 2010

Camping with Grandma Carol

With my mom visiting for a couple months, the first thing we decided to do was take her camping at Bellows Beach. It's one of our favorite beaches, but the cabins are usually booked up to a year in advance. We lucked out and were able to go for three days. Isn't it beautiful?
My mom didn't want to sleep in the cabin, so she took the blow up mattress onto the patio so she could enjoy the night air, and listen to the ocean. She says it was the best nights sleep she's ever gotten.We enjoyed lots of beach time. The kids loved making sand castles, boogie boarding, and playing with Masen. My mom and I relaxed, swam and read. I felt a little bad that Chris had to work. He was a trooper though, and didn't complain about a longer commute from this side of the island.
Here's a funny side story. Just about 2 weeks before this camping trip we had gone to Bellows with the Strattons. Corynn was stung by a Portugeese Man 'O War pretty bad. The tentacle was long, and wrapped around her leg from mid-thigh to mid-calf. It left welts and blisters and the poor girl was in a lot of pain. She vowed to NEVER swim at Bellows again. So here we are camping at Bellows for 3 days. She stuck to her promise the first day, but by the second day she braved the water. She found this little baby Man 'O War one morning while walking along the beach.
Our cabin had a hose on the patio to rinse yourself off after a day at playing in the sand. I could not keep Masen away from this hose. He was loving it so much. I finally just stripped him down, and let him play all he wanted.

5 comments:

Clore said...

those things are ugly. I was reading online about them and I am glad she is ok. I don't think I could go back in the water after being stung by one. Love you guys!

Becky said...

Can I come visit for a couple of months like your mom did? Maybe even like, ...say...1/2 a year? Without kids? Ok, no...with kids, I guess. You make me want to live in Hawaii. Great blog posts, Lynn!

Mills Family said...

Corynne I hate those little boogers too. I remember seeing blue string all along the beach. Some kind local pointed out they were man-o-wars and to watch out for them. I hear they sting like crazy. Love the pic of Mason in his birthday suit. He loves the water like is siblings.

Andrea said...

Love all the pictures and I would probably want to do the same thing your Mom did, stay outside to listen to the ocean!! SO soothing:)
Masen reminds me of my little guy, nothing is holding him back!

Heather said...

That was a good shot of Masen--very modest! I am thinking the air mattress outside was a brilliant idea. How fun that your mom is available to you for so much time. I sometimes wish my mom hadn't gone back to work. . .but that's me just being selfish.