Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Thoughts From a Sunday Afternoon

This Sunday we had a speaker in Sacrament meeting who spoke on prayer. Chris and I have very opposing views on prayer; I believe in praying always over everything, while Chris believes that God gave us a good mind and we should use our best judgement, and not "bother" (for lack of a better word) God over every little thing. This talk just reminded me of last week on Halloween afternoon when Dallin lost his hat for his costume. His Link costume is his favorite dress up outfit and he wears it everywhere, so the hat could have been anywhere. I wasn't really that worried about it because I knew he would have a great evening with or without his hat. He was upset about it though. I told him and Corynn to look for it while I was finishing up dinner, then after that we had to leave. After a few minutes Corynn ran in from the garage yelling, "I found it. I found the hat. I prayed that Heavenly Father would help me find it, and he answered my prayer." Upon hearing this, Dallin ran down the stairs yelling that he too had said a prayer and he KNEW Heavenly Father would help them find the hat. As a mother, I was so proud to hear this exchange between my children. I was so proud that they would invoke the powers of heaven with no prodding from me. It also showed me that Heavenly Father cares about what we care about, even something so mundane as a lost hat. It is so powerful to see the faith of a child in action. I am truly grateful for my children, and for a loving Heavenly Father who answers prayers.
I am also grateful for my husband. I just had to post this picture of him; he just looks so cute snoozing in a chair on Sunday afternoon.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

I agree with you, as a mom there is nothing better than to see your kids develop their own relationships with Heavenly Father. Even over silly things, he does answer their prayers. PS I love your leather furniture!!

Clore said...

I was always grateful for heavenly father helping me find things when I was a kid. It has been fun teaching justin about prayer! Thanks for your thoughts

Andrea said...

Thank you for that post. I am also grateful for prayer, and that we can communicate with Heavenly Father in such a personal way.